Cigna Insurance Coverage for Drug and Alcohol Rehab Treatment
Does Cigna Insurance cover Alcohol and Drug Rehab?
According to a report from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), in 2018, 8.1 million Americans had at least one illicit drug use disorder, and 14.8 million Americans struggled with alcohol use disorder.1, p. 37-38
There are many programs available that can help you break free from substance use, but many people wonder how to afford them. Your health insurance can help, but navigating the process of using insurance to cover rehab can be challenging.
We created this guide to help simplify the process of using Cigna to access the treatment you need for substance use.
Each Cigna plan is different, so it’s important to verify your coverage before you commit to a program. You can do this quickly by calling the number on the back of your insurance card or by contacting American Addiction Centers (AAC) by phone or online. Our admissions navigators can review your coverage in just a few minutes.
What is Cigna Insurance?
Cigna is a global health services company with a mission to improve the health and well-being of its members.2, second paragraph The company has 74,000 employees around the world and focuses on making healthcare easier to get, affordable, and easy to understand.2, bulleted list and third paragraph
Cigna has over 180 million customers and patients in more than 30 countries, allowing them to offer comprehensive services and understand health needs around the world.3, first paragraph They also offer a variety of support options, including a free national Veteran Support phone line and 24/7 service centers to help medical and dental plan customers.3, Our support
Does Cigna insurance cover substance use treatment? Yes, in part because the Affordable Care Act (ACA) requires all long-term health insurance plans are required to offer at least some coverage for 10 essential health benefits.4, top paragraph Substance use and mental health treatment are listed among those essential health benefits.4, fifth bullet
Cigna offers a wide variety of insurance plans, depending on your needs. For example, you may have Cigna coverage through an employer, through a Medicare Advantage plan, or through an individual or family plan.5, Shop our plans, type of coverage drop-down
Specialty-only plans, such as dental coverage or supplemental coverage for specific health conditions, don’t cover substance abuse treatment. They only cover the specialty they’re focused on. However, any long-term general health insurance plan will because of the ACA requirements.4, top paragraph
What will Cigna insurance cover?
There isn’t a single approach to substance use treatment that works for everyone. That’s why before you get treatment, you’ll need to work with your doctor to find the kind of treatment that will work best for your needs.
Your doctor may recommend a single treatment approach or a combination. Some of the most common treatment options are:6,7
- Inpatient rehab. During inpatient treatment, residents are able to completely focus on getting well without the distractions of work, school, or family life. Inpatient care can help you leave your usual environment and start fresh, and it provides a combination of group and individual therapy. You also learn new habits to help you live free from substance use.
- Outpatient rehab. Outpatient treatment is a way to travel your recovery journey while still keeping up with your normal routine. You’ll attend sessions a few hours a week to get help, education, and counseling on how to stay substance-free. This can be a great starting point for treatment or a follow-up after inpatient treatment.
- Intensive outpatient programs (IOP). Intensive outpatient treatment is a more focused form of care than normal outpatient treatment. IOP programs also offer courses to address the issues that cause addiction and might cover trauma, emotional regulation, self-discovery, and more. These programs run three to five days per week for several hours per day.
- Partial hospitalization programs (PHP). PHP is a hospital-based form of outpatient drug rehabilitation that provides intensive, high-level care without having to live at the facility. Some of the services that PHPs may include are one-on-one therapy, group therapy, family meetings, and more. People typically attend the recovery center 3 to 5 days a week for about 4 to 6 hours each day while still residing at home.
No matter what your treatment plan looks like, it’s essential to follow it completely. While it may be tempting to leave early when you start to feel better, the truth is that you need to practice your new strategies for quite some time so that you can use them when the pressure is on. That gives you the best chance of long-term success.
Does Cigna Insurance Cover Inpatient Mental Health Treatment Facilities?
It’s very common for those who struggle with substance use to also have a mental health concern, which is known as a co-occurring condition. In fact, studies show that 50% of those who struggle with substance use also have a mental health diagnosis.8, second paragraph
The most important thing with co-occurring conditions is to ensure you get treatment for both concerns at the same time. This type of integrated treatment gives you a much better chance of success than treating only one or the other.9, first paragraph
Will your Cigna rehab coverage cover your mental health care along with rehab? Yes, because mental health is included with substance use treatment in the ACA’s 10 essential health benefits, your Cigna rehabilitation plan should offer at least some coverage for both mental health and substance use.4, fifth bullet
How Long Does Cigna Insurance Cover Rehab?
How long will you be in rehab? This is a common question, and no single answer applies to everyone. Cigna plans, like all insurance plans, will focus on covering medically necessary treatment up to the limits in the policy.
Research shows that it takes most people at least 90 days to stop using substances or make a significant change in use habits.10 fifth point That’s why many rehab programs are at least three months long.
However, your specific treatment plan may be longer than 90 days and could include a combination of inpatient and outpatient treatment approaches. Regardless, make sure you stick with your treatment program and finish it completely. This will give you the best chance to make a permanent change in your life.
What if my Cigna policy does not cover rehab?
As you consider your options, you might find that your Cigna substance abuse treatment coverage only covers some of the cost of rehab.
Or, you might discover that the rehab program you are most interested in isn’t part of the Cigna treatment center network, which might mean you have to pay the full cost yourself.
Don’t let these situations stop you from getting the substance use treatment you need. There are a variety of ways to pay for rehab, and your insurance coverage is only part of the solution. For example, some treatment centers offer scholarships, or you might be able to set up a payment plan.
Sometimes there are state-funded programs available or rehabs that have a sliding fee scale based on your financial situation. Or, you might be able to borrow money from friends and family and pay them back once you’re back on your feet living a happy, healthy, and productive life.
The most important priority is to get treatment as soon as possible. Substance use has long-term legal and health consequences, and you want to break free before it’s too late. You deserve a life free from substance use.
Cigna In Network vs. Out of Network Rehab Centers
One of the factors that impact how much you pay for substance use treatment and how much your insurance covers is whether the treatment center is in-network or out-of-network. What does that mean?
Every insurance plan has a group of doctors and facilities that agree to treat plan members for a lower cost than normal.11, p. 1 What’s a Provider Network That group is known as the provider network.11, p. 1 What’s a Provider Network
When you use a Cigna rehab center that’s part of the network, you’ll pay less out of pocket and get the most out of your insurance plan.11, p. 2, Why do some plans… If you choose an out-of-network center, though, you could have to pay the full cost of treatment yourself.11, p. 2, Why do some plans…
Fortunately, it’s easy to find out what treatment centers are Cigna in-network providers. You can simply call the number on your insurance card or let AAC verify your insurance coverage for you. We’re available anytime, 24/7, and our admissions navigators can verify your insurance in just a few minutes. We can also answer any questions you have about substance use treatment.
What Rehab Centers Take Cigna Insurance?
American Addiction Centers (AAC) has various rehab facilities around the country that provide drug and alcohol addiction treatment. If you have an Cigna insurance plan, the following AAC facilities accept Cigna for drug and alcohol addiction rehab.
- AdCare Rhode Island: With various facilities located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides innovative, quality, and cost-efficient addiction treatment. Its integrated system of care offers an inpatient treatment center in North Kingstown and a network of outpatient offices throughout Rhode Island. AdCare’s continuum of care includes detox services, residential treatment dual-diagnosis treatment, intensive outpatient services, inpatient and outpatient services, and tele-health.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette Township, New Jersey, Sunrise House provides treatment for people suffering from substance abuse from a medical and holistic standpoint. With various evidence-based therapeutic interventions, personalized care is provided through detox, residential treatment, dual-diagnosis treatment, and outpatient services.
There are various treatment programs for individuals struggling with drug or alcohol addiction, so don’t give up if the first program you check out doesn’t meet your individual needs. There are rehabs near me that can provide the treatment you need. Check out the directory to find a list of facilities and programs. You can search by location and filter by Cigna insurance.
Check Cigna Insurance Coverage for Addiction Treatment
If you’re ready to break free from substance use once and for all, it’s important to use all of the resources available to you. One of those is your Cigna drug and alcohol treatment coverage. Your insurance can pay some or all of the cost of the treatment you need to live a far better life.
Before you commit to a program, simply verify the details of your insurance plan by calling your insurance company or contacting AAC by phone or online. You can call, contact an agent through the online chat, or fill out the form below. In just a few minutes, you’ll have more information on what treatment centers accept Cigna insurance for rehab.
You deserve a life that’s happy, healthy, and free of substance use. It’s a whole new start and a chance to chase your biggest dreams. Take the first step and contact us today.