Horizon BCBS of New Jersey: Rehabs in NJ That Accept Blue Cross Blue Shield
Does Horizon BCBS Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers?
Horizon BCBS insurance coverage, which is the brand name of the Blue Cross Blue Shield plans offered in New Jersey, helps empower enrolled members to achieve their best health overall.1 What this means for you is that, if you have a Horizon BCBS insurance plan, you may be able to use its benefits to seek out important health care coverage, which could include treatment at inpatient alcohol and drug rehab centers, or other types of rehab facilities. Every health plan is unique, so the specific coverage afforded to you under your policy may vary.
Checking your benefits and coverage before seeking treatment whenever possible is recommended. You can do this by calling the number on the back of your insurance card or logging on to your online member portal and viewing your summary of benefits and coverage. Another option includes working directly with the rehab facility you’d like to attend.
By providing basic information about your plan, the rehab facility staff may be able to look up your coverage at their specific location. Additionally, you can reach out to the American Addiction Centers (AAC) via a myriad of different channels, including the helpline, chats, or online resources. Finally, you can fill out the benefits verification form below and instantly check your coverage.
What Is Horizon BCBS?
Horizon BCBS of New Jersey has provided health insurance products and services to New Jersey businesses and families since 1932.2 “Company Information” It is 1 of the 34 independent and locally operated BCBS companies that provide coverage to 1 in 3 Americans collectively across all 50 states, Washington D.C. and Puerto Rico.3
Nearly 3,700,000 members across 21 counties in New Jersey trust the company to provide quality health benefits and services.4 Collectively, Horizon BCBS is the 6th-largest Blue plan and the 16th-largest health insurer.4
There are many different types of plans offered by Horizon BCBS, as it provides solutions in multiple markets. Specifically, BCBS of NJ serves the individual and family market, Medicaid, Medicare, and employer-sponsored health insurance plans.5
Given the sheer volume of available plans, it’s not known how many rehab centers in the TRISTATE area and New Jersey area are under the network of Horizon BCBS of NJ plans. Call the number on the back of your insurance card to find out how many in-network rehab centers are near you.
How Much Does Horizon BCBS Cover (Addiction Treatment)?
One of the most common questions surrounding insurance usage is how much coverage you have for a specific service. Due to the number of different plans that are available under the Horizon BCBS brand, there is not 1 straightforward answer to how much addiction treatment is covered under all plans. Your specific plan and network requirements will play a large role in what is or is not covered under your plan.
What 1 Horizon BCBS plan covers, and the extent and duration of what that coverage entails, will be different from what your specific plan covers. Regardless, there may be coverage for 1 or all the following 4 common addiction treatment plans:
- Inpatient or residential rehab. Patients who enroll in an inpatient or residential rehab program will receive round-the-clock medically supervised care, which may include detox and withdrawal management, and live at the facility for the duration of their program.6, Pg 8, “What types of treatment programs are available?” Para 2,
- Outpatient rehab or therapy. Patients who enroll in an outpatient rehab program attend sessions at a facility (e.g., counseling or therapy) on a minimalistic schedule (e.g., 1 or 2 sessions a week or less). There is not an overnight stay involved with outpatient treatment.6, Pg 10, Para 2
- Intensive outpatient programs. Patients who enroll in an intensive outpatient program for addiction treatment generally must attend a minimum number of hours of care each week, which tends to be around 9 hours per week.6, Pg 10, Para 3
- Partial hospitalization programs. Patients who enroll in partial hospitalization programs (PHPs) generally undergo elements of both inpatient and outpatient care. Often called day programs, PHPs require patients to attend 4-8 hours of treatment at a facility each day multiple days a week, but the patient does not stay overnight at the facility.6, Pg 10, Para 1
Please keep in mind that these are just common treatment types that may be recommended for you. Whether they are what your personal health care provider determines is the best treatment type for your recovery and whether they are covered under your insurance remains to be seen.
Please work with a behavioral health specialist or provider to determine the type of addiction treatment that fits your needs. And it’s recommended that you work with the rehab center directly, call AAC, or call the number on the back of your insurance card to check whether the treatment(s) is covered under your Horizon BCBS mental health coverage.
Does Horizon BCBS Insurance Cover Mental Health Treatment Facilities?
Under the Affordable Care Act (ACA), which is a federal health care reform law, almost all U.S. health plans are required to provide some level of coverage for services that are deemed to be essential health benefits.7
Of the list of 10, mental health and substance abuse treatment services are considered to be an EHB, and almost all plans are required to provide some level of coverage for these services.8 This means that your health plan may be mandated by the ACA to provide coverage in some capacity for mental health, behavioral health, and substance use disorder treatment (e.g., rehab).8
Despite the mandate, plans can determine what their coverage looks like for each service, so it’s important to check your benefits and coverage to ensure they are covered. You can also check your benefits to learn more about how treatment for conditions like co-occurring disorders and stand-alone heroin or substance misuse is covered under your plan.
A co-occurring disorder is what it is known as when a patient has both a mental illness and substance use disorder occurring concurrently.9 While it is not believed that 1 condition causes the other directly, it is believed that those who have either condition are twice as likely to develop the other at some point in their lifetime.10
With that being said, co-occurring disorders are common, with 17 million Americans reporting to have co-occurring disorders in 2020.9 Given the interconnected nature of the conditions, an interconnected or tandem treatment where each condition is treated as its own during the overarching treatment, is essential.9 “what should I do?”
How Long Does Horizon BCBS Insurance Cover Inpatient Alcohol and Drug Rehab Program?
How long your health plan through Horizon BCBS will cover addiction treatment, such as an inpatient alcohol and drug rehab program, will depend on your specific plan. Additionally, where you seek care and the extent of your treatment may also influence the extent and duration of coverage. What’s more, the length of time you should remain in treatment and how long your plan will cover treatment may vary.
You should be mindful that you should not let your insurance coverage dictate getting the coverage you need. Insurance plans cannot provide insight into the care you need. As such, you should consult with your health care team or behavioral health provider to discuss your treatment course, including the types of treatment that are the best fit for you and how long you should remain in treatment.
While every situation is unique and people aren’t the same in how long they should be in treatment, experts recommend treatment lasting for at least 90 days to curb or stop drug use and improve overall outcomes.11, bullet 5
To find out how long your plan will cover treatment, call the number on the back of your insurance plan. You can also log in to your Horizon BCBS plan portal to review your plan information on your own.
What if My Horizon BCBS Policy Does Not Cover an Inpatient Drug Rehab Program?
It is possible that your Horizon BCBS policy may not cover an inpatient drug rehab program or another type of rehab treatment. There may be payment options that you can lean on, depending on the rehab facility you choose, to pay for rehab. Some rehabs will provide financing opportunities or scholarship options for which you can apply to cover the costs of care.
Be sure to ask the facility whether these are options for you. Getting the treatment right now is critical rather than pushing it down the road.
Horizon BCBS In-Network vs. Out-of-Network Inpatient Drug Rehab Centers
Understanding the difference in network vs. non-network care can mean the difference between your costs being covered. Horizon BCBS of NJ has access to a large network of doctors in New Jersey and the TRISTATE area.12 Per Horizon BCBS of NJ, “in-network” is defined as a health care professional, doctor, hospital and other facilities that participate in the plan network program.12
To help keep your out-of-pocket health care costs as low as possible, it’s important to use in-network providers.13 Depending on the plan you have, you may not have coverage for out-of-pocket costs unless in a true emergency, and you may have to pay more for care received at the out-of-network providers.13 Call the number on the back of your card to find a covered nearby in-network provider or use the Horizon BCBS of NJ Doctor & Hospital Finder.13
How to Find Horizon BCBS-Covered Inpatient Drug Treatment Centers in NJ?
AAC is here to help you throughout your recovery journey. This could include helping you understand your benefits and coverage and finding a nearby, covered inpatient drug treatment center in New Jersey. You can call our confidential helpline to speak to a real person who can check your benefits right while you’re on the phone.
AAC can also help you figure out whether your Horizon BCBS of NJ is accepted at any of the industry leading AAC facilities across the country. Sunrise House is 1 of those leading industries and is in the state of New Jersey. To find out whether your plan is accepted at this facility, call our helpline today.
Which Rehab Centers Take Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey?
Horizon BCBSNJ members have access to a large network of healthcare providers in New Jersey and beyond, including those who offer treatment for substance use disorder. American Addiction Centers has several rehab facilities in the United States that accept Horizon BCBSNJ insurance, including:
- AdCare Rhode Island: Located in Rhode Island, AdCare provides high-quality, evidence-based addiction treatment in a supportive environment.
- Desert Hope Treatment Center: Located in sunny Las Vegas, Desert Hope Treatment Center provides a high level of care and individualized treatment plans to help address addiction and co-occurring mental health disorders.
- Greenhouse Treatment Center: This Dallas, Texas, rehab facility provides a wide variety of addiction treatment services and individualized treatment plans for people with addiction and co-occurring mental health disorders.
- Laguna Treatment Hospital: Located in Orange County, California, Laguna Treatment Hospital provides high-quality addiction treatment and care in a supportive environment with staff available around the clock.
- Oxford Treatment Center: Located in Etta, Mississippi, Oxford Treatment Center provides high-quality drug and alcohol addiction treatment in a serene environment.
- River Oaks Treatment Center: This Riverview, Florida, treatment center has advanced accreditations and professional staff who provide the highest level of care.
- Sunrise House Treatment Center: Located in Lafayette, New Jersey, Sunrise House Treatment Center is a premier addiction center that provides a comprehensive continuum of care and individualized treatment plans.
American Addiction Centers is committed to helping individuals struggling with drug or alcohol use break the cycle of addiction. If you have questions about addiction treatment or want to know what your Horizon BCBSNJ insurance covers, you can contact us at . Our admissions navigators are available around the clock to provide resources, offer support, and assist you with the admissions process when you’re ready.