Top-rated Addiction Rehab Centers Near You
How to Find the Best Drug and Alcohol Rehab Centers Near Me
Addiction treatment methods and approaches have evolved significantly over time, with the development of medical knowledge and a change of public perception regarding addiction issues. The first ‘rehabs’ in the United States, were the 19th-century “sober houses”, established as an effort of the early temperance movement to achieve complete abstinence from alcohol use.1, 2
Significant medical advances made during the 20th century relocated addiction treatment to clinical settings. The new addiction treatment model branched off from the previously psychiatric settings, and the private residential facilities proliferated during the 1980s.3 Finally, in 1987, the American Medical Association officially recognized alcoholism as a disease.2
As a matter of serious public concern, addiction treatment became a collaboration between various kinds of health professionals.2 To make addiction treatment more readily available to people struggling with alcohol and drug abuse, the Center for Substance Abuse Treatment was established in 1992.4 The results of a 2020 study conducted by Mental Health America show that 4.13% of US adolescents and 7.68% of adults have experienced substance abuse issues during the year before.5
Top-rated alcohol and drug rehabilitation centers can now be found throughout the U.S. The best rehab facilities maintain the highest norms of psychological and medical treatment. More than 94% of them are accredited by federal, state, and local agencies, as well as national organizations. The 2018 National Survey of Substance Abuse Services found that out of 14,809 included rehab facilities:6
- 82.7% offered outpatient treatment.
- 23.6% provided both short and long-term residential treatment in a non-hospital environment.
- 5.3% offered inpatient detoxification treatment in a hospital-like setting.
What Levels & Types of Care Do the Best Rehab Centers Offer?
The best rehab centers provide various programs and levels of care, offering them to treatment-seeking individuals according to their specific needs and circumstances. Individualized treatment plans are created for each patient, taking into consideration factors like the drug of abuse, the severity and duration of addiction, physical health, and the potential presence of co-occurring mental health issues that need to be addressed simultaneously with the addiction treatment.7
- Residential treatment at the best drug rehabilitation centers offers round-the-clock care since the patient lives at the facility. Nursing and medical services are available 24/7. Inpatient treatment can be short or long-term. Depending on the severity of addiction and possible co-occurring disorders, it can require a stay of 3 weeks to a year. This type of treatment is also best suited for people who might benefit from removing themselves from their usual environment.8
- Detox services / medical detox. Medically monitored detoxification involves the management and mitigation of unpleasant acute withdrawal symptoms, sometimes with the help of medication. Detox can last up to a week. However, it’s only the first step of recovery since addiction requires most patients to proceed with other types of treatment to achieve lasting sobriety.8
- Outpatient services are typically suited for people with less severe or moderate addiction, who have a solid friend/family support system. This type of program takes place at a facility, where the patient is provided treatment a certain number of hours per week, according to their individualized plan.7
Sometimes daily attendance is necessary, and in other cases, it may be just a few times per week. Patients in this type of treatment usually live at home or in sober living houses.7
- Behavioral therapies can include individual counseling sessions as well as group or family counseling. This is the most used type of addiction treatment as it allows the patient to examine their behavior, thoughts, and feelings, with the help of a professional counselor, to get to the underlying causes of addiction.7, 9
The focus of behavioral therapies, particularly cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), is to develop the motivation to change maladaptive behaviors and build new healthier coping skills to avoid triggers and prevent relapse.7, 9
- Aftercare involves planning for the period after the patient completes inpatient or outpatient treatment at the rehab facility. It might consist of individual or group counseling, 12-step based support groups like NA or AA, and other activities.7, 9
The goal is to help the patient avoid being pulled back into old patterns or cycles of abstinence and relapse. This follow-up treatment improves one’s chances of achieving lasting sobriety. Medication management is also an essential element of aftercare.7, 9
- Sober houses, or halfway houses, are generally small group homes, a type of temporary accommodation offered by the best rehab facilities. They serve as a transition between residential facilities and the usual, home routine. The stay lasts about 3 months to a year.8
This is a way to provide patients with a safe, drug- and alcohol-free environment. Residents interact with others who understand what they are going through, and they can support one another. They usually attend group therapy sessions to consolidate the skills practiced during inpatient treatment.8
- Tools for relapse prevention. Substance abuse disorder is a chronic condition, and as with all other conditions of this type, it’s quite common to go through periods of remission and relapse. One of the ways to avoid relapse and maintain long-term sobriety is relapse prevention.10
Tools of relapse prevention include peer support programs, usually 12-step based support groups (like AA or NA), therapy, monitoring, and maintenance medication in some cases, particularly in opioid addiction cases.10
What Kind of Amenities Are Available at a Top-Rated Rehab Center?
The variety and type of amenities offered at the different alcohol and drug rehabilitation centers can vary significantly. While public treatment centers tend to have longer waitlists and more modest accommodation, most top-rated drug treatment centers offer more options when it comes to the range of treatment programs and approaches.11
Aside from the highest level of care, they usually offer more choice when it comes to amenities such as:9
- Clean, private, sometimes quite luxurious rooms.
- Swimming pools, spas, gyms, exercise areas.
- Mindfulness meditation and yoga.
- Tailored nutritional plans to accommodate for dietary restrictions and provide balanced diets to recovering patients.
- Outdoor/nature therapies, equine therapy, or other therapies with animals.
- Creative expression therapies, like art and music.
- Acupuncture, massage, chiropractic therapy.
What to Bring to the Best Inpatient Drugs Rehab Center?
Top-rated drug and alcohol rehab centers make sure to have clearly stated policies about the items patients can bring to rehab. Some have very strict policies, so they usually provide patients with lists of allowed and prohibited items.
When a patient arrives at the facility, one of the staff members will inspect their bag for any prohibited items. It’s advised to call the rehab center you’re going to beforehand and ask about any specific items you might not be sure about.
Generally, the things everyone needs to bring include:
- Contact information of people involved in your treatment.
- Your everyday jewelry, a watch, or a wedding ring. Valuable items are generally not allowed.
- Your prescription medication, in its original packaging, and with an undamaged label.
- Small amounts of cash, credit/debit card.
- Some form of ID, and health insurance cards.
- Something to write in (notebook/journal).
- You might be allowed to bring something to read but there are usually limitations regarding the type of literature you can bring.
- Comfortable clothing.
- Personal hygiene products (alcohol-free).
What Items not to Bring to a Drug Rehab Program?
To ensure everyone’s safety and an optimal environment for recovery, rehab centers have quite strict rules about prohibited items. Substance abuse rehabilitation centers generally don’t allow:
- Drugs/narcotics and alcohol.
- Unapproved prescription medication or opened OTC medications with the damaged label.
- Revealing clothing.
- Jewelry or other highly valuable items.
- Pornographic materials.
How Can I Pick the Best Drug Rehab Facility?
When it’s time to select the best rehab center, be it for you or a loved one, there are some essential criteria you should familiarize yourself with. One of the relevant online resources that could provide you with necessary information is NIDA’s handbook Seeking Drug Abuse Treatment: Know What to Ask.7
Another way to find out about the top-rated rehab centers near you, or other programs that fit your needs, would be to call a free, confidential addiction hotline and get accurate advice on the topic.7
Factors to take into consideration include:
- Location. You can choose to attend a local program, if there are nearby facilities that fit your needs, so you have your friends and family nearby. On the other hand, opting for a rehab center that’s located further away from home can remove you from your usual environment and offer the necessary distance from the factors that had a part in your substance abuse.12, 13
- Staff certifications. You should look for licensed facilities, staffed with experienced but caring and compassionate professionals. The best and top-rated rehab facilities have the necessary certifications from recognized authorities, like The Joint Commission and SAMHSA. This is a guarantee that they offer effective treatment and evidence-based programs and approaches.14
- Daily schedule. You should find out if the facility you’re interested in has a daily schedule you’re comfortable with. Not all facilities have the same rules, some are more flexible than others. Learn what kinds of daily activities are part of the treatment since not everybody enjoys the same amount of interactions with others.14
- Lodging arrangement. Rehab facilities vary significantly in the type of perks they offer. Most private rehab centers offer comfortable accommodation, quality food, and amenities like spas, swimming pools, or gyms, to make your stay comfortable so you can relax and focus on your treatment.9
- Support groups are an important part of relapse prevention. After the medical detox phase and individual or group therapy, top-rated rehab facilities also provide their patients with this option to help them maintain their sobriety.14
- Program success rates. No approach or treatment method is guaranteed to be effective for everyone since each person is different. However, addiction can be treated as successfully as other chronic illnesses, which means that similarly, relapses sometimes do occur after leaving the rehab facility and getting back to everyday life. Addiction treatment outcome depends on many factors, but a longer duration of treatment has been proven to be most effective.7
AAC’s Best Drug Rehabilitation Centers
American Addiction Centers is a network of top-rated addiction treatment centers in the U.S. It has treatment facilities in 26 locations, so you can easily find an appropriate one that will fit your specific needs. All AAC’s addiction treatment centers are licensed and accredited by The Joint Commission and CARF and offer evidence-based, effective treatment programs and approaches.
Some of AAC’s best alcohol and drug addiction rehab centers in the U.S. include:
- Top-rated inpatient drug rehab center in California, the first chemical dependency recovery hospital in Orange County.
- Specialized treatment programs for veterans and athletes in Las Vegas, NV.
- High-end treatment setting, with top-rated faith-based rehab in Texas.
- Top-rated outdoor rehab with gender-specific programs in Mississippi.
- High standard of care for medical professionals in Florida.
- Top-rated rehab for licensed and impaired professionals in Florida.
- Treatment for Medicare and Medicaid insurance, at multiple treatment centers across New England, MA.
- LGBTQ+ trauma-focused treatment in New Jersey.
Where Are the Best Addiction Treatment Facilities Near Me?
After you have established that you should enroll in one of the best rehab centers in the U.S., you could start by calling your health insurance provider to find out what kind of coverage your plan provides. All plans are required to cover treatment in residential mental health facilities as well as substance abuse services, but they might not provide full coverage.15
You can also use SAMHSA’s Substance Use Treatment Locator to search for state-licensed facilities by location.
If you have your insurance card with you, you can call the American Addiction Centers helpline and consult with an admissions navigator who can verify your insurance coverage. They can check your benefits, explain different treatment options, and present you with possible payment plans for treatment in case your insurance doesn’t covet the full cost.
AAC’s admission navigators can help guide you through the initial steps of the intake process, and explain what to expect from the initial assessment. Based on the evaluation, medical staff can choose the right treatment plan for you. They can also match you with a specialist in handling interventions for substance abuse if you’re calling about someone else. Rest assured that the privacy and confidentiality of all your medical information are guaranteed by law.
The top-rated drug and alcohol addiction treatment centers may also offer additional programs and plans for patients with particular needs:
- Drug and alcohol addiction treatment for men only.
- Women-specific alcohol or drug treatment.
- Help for couples battling addiction issues together.
- Substance abuse treatment for military veterans.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are the Main 5 Elements of High-Quality Rehabilitation?
According to SAMHSA’s criteria, there are 5 main signs of quality, top-rated treatment:16
- Accreditation. The program is licensed or certified by the state regulatory bodies and the staff is trained and qualified.
- Medication. Top-rated programs use FDA-approved medication to help with recovery.
- Evidence-Based practices. Treatment methods are proven to be effective in treating SUDs and include medication management therapies, CBT, counseling, education, and peer support.
- Family support. The best programs include family members, friends, or loved ones, to provide support during the treatment process.
- Aftercare support. The chronic nature of addiction requires ongoing aftercare and support, so quality programs provide long-term counseling, sober housing, or employment support.
Can I Go to a Top-Rated Drug Treatment Program for Free?
Each state has an obligation to set aside funding for the treatment of those who don’t have any insurance coverage.15 You can take a look at SAMHSA’s Directory of Single State Agencies (SSA) for Substance Abuse Services to find contact information for each state.
Out of 14,809 facilities included in The National Survey of Substance Abuse Treatment Services in 2018, there are 6,643 (44.9%) facilities that offer completely free or minimal payment treatment for clients with financial difficulties and 443 facilities (3%) offer free treatment for all clients.6
What Are Success Rates of the Best Drug Rehab Centers?
Substance abuse disorders are like other chronic diseases (heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, or asthma), which means that treatment isn’t a cure. However, they can be successfully managed and kept under control.13
Relapse is common due to the chronic nature of addiction, with recurrence rates like those of other chronic illnesses. The relapse rate of struggling patients who stop the treatment is about 40-60%.7